Ceiling fans are very impactful and energy-efficient. They are great at cooling the air in Australian homes and yet they are using about 40% less power than air conditioners. The main considerations are the choice of location and the type of a ceiling fan. Installing them is an easy job, but you need to hire a professional electrician.
The Best Locations for Installing Ceiling Fans
Not sure where to install a ceiling fan? Choosing the right location is essential to make the most of this investment and ensure that the fan can keep your home cool during the hot summer months. Here are the main factors you need to consider:
- The ceiling fan should be positioned at least two and a half meters from the ground.
- The rotating blades should be at least 2.1 meters from the floor and 20-25 cm from the ceiling.
- There should be a minimum of 45 cm between the blades and sidewalls, doors, and cabinets.
- Instead of placing the fan in the centre of the room, it is best to install it in the area where you are gathering (i.e., above sofas in living rooms or dining tables in kitchens).
Installation Process and Materials
The ceiling fan installation process depends on many factors including the type of the fan and location. If you already have a ceiling fan that is old, faulty, or not efficient enough, you need to carefully remove it before starting with the installation of the new one. The most important tools your electrician will need to perform this job include screwdrivers and pliers, expandable bracket, electrical ceiling box, wire cutter, voltage tester, electrician’s tape, and a drill. Additionally, a professional electrician will also need to use protective glasses for safety reasons. The installation process includes 10 key steps:
- Turn off the power.
- Deinstall the old ceiling fan if you have one.
- Ceiling fans require metal electrical ceiling boxes, so replace a plastic one if necessary.
- Install the ceiling bracket.
- Assemble the fan.
- Connect the wires.
- Attach the blades.
- Connect the light fixtures if your ceiling fan has them.
- Turn on the power.
- Let the fan run for a while to check if it is working properly.
A licenced electrician will make sure your new ceiling is properly installed according to the current regulations. The most important safety rules include:
- The main electrical power supply needs to be turned off before the installation process begins.
- All the wiring and electrical connections must comply with the Australian Standards.
- Instructions from the manufacturer must be strictly followed.
Professional Ceiling Fan Installation
With years of experience and a team of skilled workers, GA Perry specialises in ceiling fan installations. We will source the best materials and make sure to follow all the safety rules. You can also rely on our expertise to help you decide which ceiling fan to purchase and where to install it. Call us today, and we will send one of our professional electricians your way.